Small business owners face a lot of challenges that make it difficult to start, grow and maintain their businesses. It could be limited resources, limited space, or competition from larger companies, who don't seem to have the same problems. But there are ways to protect the assets that you have and give you more breathing room in your space while the business grows. This post will explore how portable storage has some unique benefits for small business owners and how to choose a provider.
Benefits of Portable Storage
The benefits of portable storage are many, but for this post, we're going to mention those which will help you ensure the safety and security of your assets.
- Cost-effective: Portable storage is often less expensive than renting or buying additional office, retail or warehouse space, which can help small businesses save money on overhead costs. If your space is limited, you can lease or buy an easily accessible container storage unit and put it right onsite. Having storage on site will make it easy to store inventory that you may not have been able to carry otherwise. And being able to access it when you need it is great for productivity and efficiency.
- Security: If that excess inventory is valuable (and most is, right?) it will provide a safe and secure place to store valuable items. Portable storage units are typically made of steel and feature secure locking mechanisms. Plus, they are made of rugged weatherproof steel, so they'll protect your valuable items from the outdoors.
- Scalability: Portable storage units can be scaled up or down depending on a business's needs, making it easy for them to adjust their storage capacity as they grow or shrink.
Choosing a Portable Storage Provider
As a small business owner, it's important to choose a reliable portable storage provider to ensure the safety and security of your assets. Here are some tips to help you find the right provider for your needs:
- Research the different providers in your area that specialize in serving small businesses. Look for providers that have experience working with businesses similar to yours, and that understand the unique needs and challenges of small business storage.
- Read reviews and check the provider's reputation with other small business owners. Look for testimonials from other businesses that have used the provider's services, and ask for references if necessary.
- Choose a provider that offers high-quality, secure storage containers that meet your specific needs. Look for containers that are made of steel and that have strong locks and security features. Consider the size and layout of the container, and make sure it's large enough to accommodate your business assets.
- Consider the provider's customer service and support. Look for a provider that is responsive and easy to communicate with, and that provides clear information about their services and pricing. Ask about delivery and pick-up. When it's time to have them pick-up the container, will that be done right away?
By choosing a reliable portable storage provider, you can ensure that your business assets are safe and secure, and that you have access to the support you need to manage your storage needs effectively.
Pack and Secure Your Property
Packing your business assets properly is essential to protecting them from damage during storage. Here are some tips to help you pack your belongings effectively:
- Use high-quality packing materials to protect your business assets from damage. Invest in sturdy boxes, packing tape, and packing materials like bubble wrap or packing peanuts to protect delicate or fragile items.
- Keep an eye on weight distribution when packing. Make sure that heavier items are packed at the bottom and lighter items are placed on top. This will help prevent boxes from becoming crushed or damaged during storage.
- Label all boxes and containers clearly with contents and dates. This will help you keep track of your assets and ensure that you can easily find what you need when it's time to retrieve them.
- Create an inventory of all items for easy tracking and organization. Keep a detailed list of all items you place in storage, including the item name, description, quantity, and location in the container.
- Use a high-quality lock to secure the container, and consider using additional security technology, like cameras, if you have them in place.
- Choose a location that is accessible for regular business use but also secure, such as a locked lot or behind a fenced area
- Check your business insurance coverage to verify that it covers assets in storage, or consider purchasing additional coverage, if needed. (It may be available through your provider.)
Regular Check-ins Of Your Property
- If stored off-site, schedule regular visits to your portable storage container to check on your business assets
- Look for signs of damage or tampering
- Take steps to address any issues that you notice and reorganize the container as necessary
By packing your business assets carefully and thoughtfully, you can help ensure that they remain in good condition during storage and that you're able to access them easily when needed.
Portable storage is an excellent storage solution for small business owners, providing flexibility and convenience without sacrificing security. By following the tips we've shared in this post, you can help protect your business assets from theft and damage, and ensure that you have access to everything you need when you need it. From choosing a reliable portable storage provider to packing your belongings properly and regularly checking on your assets, taking these steps can help you maintain the safety and security of your business assets. With a little planning and preparation, you can take advantage of the benefits of portable storage and keep your business moving forward.